Pumpkin Shaped Protein Dinner Rolls
We are officially into fall, and you know what that means - pumpkins everywhere! Even our bread rolls are starting to resemble the season. These bread rolls are a fun twist on the traditional bread roll for the fall season and go with any meal! We served them with our protein chicken soup!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Rising time: 2 - 21/2 hours
Servings: 12 rolls
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant or active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon honey or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or other neutral-flavored oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup Pounamu Protein Whey Isolate
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- Kitchen string
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon sticks
- Either in a stand mixer with a dough hook or a large bowl by hand, mix in warm water (water should be very warm to the touch, but not hot), yeast, honey, oil, salt, Natural Whey Isolate Pounamu Protein and 1 cup of flour.
- Begin mixing either with a wooden spoon or on a stand mixer.
- Gradually add more flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Begin kneading dough. 4-5 minutes for a stand mixer, 7-9 minutes by hand.
- After a few minutes of kneading, check your dough. It should be soft and smooth, but also a little sticky. Grab a piece and roll it in your hand; if you can roll it into a ball in your hand (with a little residue), you're good to go. If it gets all over your hands and is very sticky, gradually add more flour and continue kneading.
- Place the dough in a pre-greased bowl and set aside for 1 - 2 hours with a damp tea towel over the top. Let the dough double in size.
- While waiting, cut the kitchen string into 4 dozen 8-10 inch strands and place them in a bowl. Toss strings with oil to coat and set aside.
- Once ready, lightly punch the dough down and place it onto a floured surface, divide it into 12 pieces, and form into round balls.
- Place four pieces of string on your work surface crossing in the middle and creating a star formation. All of the strings should be evenly spaced out.
- Place a roll top side down onto the star's center and tie the strings together in the center of the roll. Cut the excess string off with scissors.
- Place the roll on your prepared baking sheet knot side down and repeat for all of the rolls.
- Cover and let rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 367 degrees.
- Create an egg wash by cracking one egg and adding a splash of milk to a bowl and whisk. Brush each roll with egg wash.
- Bake for about 20 -25 minutes until they are golden brown. Let cool.
- Once cooled, cut off strings and carefully peel them back.
- Break a cinnamon stick into quarters (best you can!) and place them into the center of the pumpkin as its stem.
- Brush some melted butter over the top and enjoy!