Roasted Thai Pumpkin Soup
This isn't your average pumpkin soup - the Thai ingredients and roasted butternut squash add excellent flavor notes. This soup is super healthy, but also creamy, thanks to the pumpkin, coconut milk and Pounamu Protein.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tablespoons lemongrass, finely chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leave, stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 inches of galangal or ginger, finely chopped
- 1 or more birds eye chilis, if you like it hot!
- 6 cups, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup Pounamu Protein Natural Whey Isolate mixed with 1/2 cup cold water
- salt & pepper to taste
- lime or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel the butternut squash and chop in half lengthwise. Scoop seeds out and discard. (Remember to compost vegetable waste)
- Chop the butternut squash into large pieces; size around 1.5-2 inches cubed.
- Chop onion into large pieces.
- Place butternut squash, chopped onion and garlic cloves in a roasting dish with 1 cup of water, and liberally season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Peel cooked garlic.
- In a large pot, add roasted vegetables, lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves, galangal birds eye chili and stock.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix Pounamu Protein natural whey protein or isolate with 1/2 cup water until it has been incorporated.
- Whisk in coconut milk and Pounamu Protein mixture, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender in the pot) and puree until smooth.
- Taste and add any additional salt and or pepper that is needed.
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
- We love to eat this soup with poppadoms or a crusty baguette.
- If you like spicy soup, add extra chilis or sprinkle chili flakes on top.