Pounamu Protein Pancakes
In this Pounamu Proteiner's opinion, pancakes are one of the best ways to start off the weekend! We used our new Energy superfood protein blend in these pancakes, but you could use any of our protein blends, or our chocolate, vanilla or natural whey protein.
Tip: We love to make extra pancakes, freeze them and when we are squeezed on time, pop a pancake in the toaster for a quick snack. For added protein smother the pancake with your favorite nut butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 scoops Pounamu Protein powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Vegetable oil or butter for pan
- Whisk flour, sugar, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt together in a bowl.
- Using a whisk, make a well in the centre. Pour the buttermilk into the well and crack the eggs into the buttermilk. Add olive oil.
- Starting in the centre whisk everything together, until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not over beat - lumps are ok!
- Heat skillet (preferably cast-iron), over low heat for around 5 minutes. Add around 1 tablespoon of oil or butter to the skillet. Test if your skillet is to the desired temperature and make sure your pancakes won't stick by making a mini pancake!
- Now on to the regular sized pancakes - ladle approximately 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet.
- Flip the pancakes after bubbles rise to the surface and the bottom is golden, (about 2 to 4 minutes).
- Enjoy your pancakes with some maple syrup and a dollop of butter - we also love fresh fruit on top!