Pounamu Protein Cheesy Pasta
This cheesy pasta is a quick recipe that hits the mac and cheese craving every time! It is high in protein with 2 scoops of Pounamu Protein, customizable, and perfect for busy weeknights. Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated or finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 2 scoops Natural Pounamu Whey Protein Isolate
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese (8 oz) (can also use cheddar cheese)
- 1 tablespoon herbs and spices
- Cook and drain pasta as instructed on the package.
- Mix milk and Pounamu protein until smooth.
- In a deep saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in flour, salt, and garlic, stirring until it is lightly golden and has a nutty aroma. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk/protein mixture and continue to whisk constantly as the mixture comes to a boil. The mixture will thicken quickly as you stir. Once at desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in cheese. (Optional: stir in any herbs and spices you want in your dish here).
- Stir in your drained pasta and mix until incorporated into the cheese sauce.
- Top with any additional herbs and spices, and serve!
- If you are looking for a little bit of crunch, you can add the cheesy pasta to a baking dish, cover it with breadcrumbs, drizzle with olive oil and broil it until golden brown.
- Topping the dish with your choice of meat, such as chicken, steak, brisket, etc. will add another delicious layer and extra protein!